The procedure was simple once I was positioned comfortably on the roof. It is illustrated below:-
· Lift the shingle tab of the shingle two rows above the shingle I wished to replace shingle.
· Remove the nails from around the shingle tab
· Use the flat pry bar to lift the shingle and keep it securely at a place from where it will not slide down.
· Use the hammer claw to remove all nails around the shingle such that the shingle or a part of it can be removed with ease.
· Place the new shingle in place of the old one and fix the new nails at a place where there is no hole from previous fixings.
· Apply adhesives to the required place.
Certain precautions to take while replacing a new shingle are as follows:
· Choose a shingle of a similar shade when replacing it.
· When installing a new roof, keep at least 20 shingles for such conditions of replacements.
· Don’t replace the entire shingle when only a part is to be replaced. Cut the bad part and put a new one over it.
· Don’t lean on the edge of a roof while replacing a shingle close to the gutter.
· In case there is a requirement to install a shingle near the edge of a roof, use a ladder or scaffolding.
· Consult an experienced roofer prior to starting work. This will also ensure that you don’t do more damage to the roof.
Shingle replacement is an easy operation and can be attempted by a person after taking the requisite precautions. It is however advisable to take assistance from an experienced roofer. Once you get the hang of it, its simple and easy.
As a Virginia, VA Roofing Contractor, Roofer911.com takes great pride in maintaining customer satisfaction for all types of new roof installation and roof repair work for residential and commercial roofing accounts.
You can learn more about how to replace roof shingles, and any other necessary tools and instruments to help with it.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Steven_Briesemeister